Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Return of Craftworld Fáil

I'm back! After a hiatus of more than a year (not really true, just haven't been blogging or playing much), I have returned, re-energized and re-invigorated. And really, what's fourteen months to one of the Immortal Folk?

Partly because I now have a direction for my Eldar, play-wise and fluff-wise, and partly because I just got my first game of 7th Edition in this weekend.

So what comes next? After the jump...


7th Edition Impressions

First off, I have to say that I like 7th edition so far (yes that's only one game in, but I got a taste of two of my biggest worries - Maelstrom missions and the Psychic Phase). Tactical objectives are fun. I have a feeling they are less fun for less mobile army lists, but even that drawback can be mitigated by using...

Highlander Army Lists


I became a big fan of this list format the very first moment I heard of it. If you haven't heard of it, it basically limits you to no more than one of each unit unless you have already run out of options for that force org slot - including dedicated transports! This is a great handicap rule for a codex like mine, where wave serpents rule supreme. Why do I like it?

1. It forces you out of your comfort zone. I've played the wave serpent spam list; it is potent, it wins, and it seems rather unfair even to me, an Eldar player. Now you can only bring one in your list, maybe two if you are lucky, forcing you to adopt new strategies and explore new tricks.

2. Variety. You can bring a bigger variety of units to the table. More options = more fun!

3. Morale. After years of flailing around as a bad Eldar player, it's disheartening to have a powerful codex and have people roll their eyes at you because they see it as simple cheese. No one likes to get rolled over and highlander lists can at least give the impression of a more even playing field.

Craftworld Fáil


Also, finally, some ideas about my custom craftworld have begun to crystallize. I'll be posting more on this in the future, but the final piece of the puzzle fell into place for me.

What I want is not just a custom color scheme, a custom army list, and some cut-and-paste fluff behind it, but rather a whole contiguous feel, and I think I've got it. After years of false starts and uninspiring ideas, I found one that works for me.

Indeed, it's even inspiring me to start putting together a campaign based around the Craftworld's story...

More anon!

No comments:

Post a Comment